21
Nov

I’ve received a few comments that Droid users can’t scan any barcodes with PackRat. I don’t have a Droid, but when I tried out PackRat on a borrowed device, it seems to have worked just fine. That makes debugging this issue pretty hard for me.

Here are a few ways you can help me if you’re affected, though:

  1. First, please make sure you’re not suffering from the Droid autofocus bug. The best way to make sure that’s not the case is to download ZXing Barcode Scanner, and see whether you can read barcodes with that. The scanning code is the same in both apps. If you can’t scan barcodes with this app, it’s not PackRat’s fault, and I can’t help you.
  2. If you see crashes/”force close” scenarios when you try to scan, you can help me by sending me log files from your phone. This applies to any crashes with PackRat, not just scanning related ones. The easiest way to do so is to download Log Collector. First, do whatever it takes to make the crash happen. Then, start Log Collector and send the log to my email address jens AT finkhaeuser DOT de.
  3. Finally, if you’re a Droid user, not afraid of installing apps manually (i.e. not through Android Market) and willing to help, I could send you an updated version of PackRat to try out. With a bit of luck, that’ll resolve the issue.

Thank you for your help!

Update 2009-12-07: I think this is now solved. Expect a new release soon. Many thanks to Domenic Padula and John L. Galt for their help!

2 Responses to “Droid Scanner Issues”

  1. andadroid Says:

    I see you’re working on the droid issue. Would it still help you to have log files? I have not been able to scan any books. As soon as packrat begins searching I get a force quit.

    It’s a great program, so I’m happy to help if you still need it.

  2. unwesen Says:

    Thank you!

    To loosely quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: This is not the Droid issue you’re looking for.

    This Droid issue has been fixed for a while. But I received reports of other scanning issues, which — strictly speaking — are not to do with scanning at all, but with retrieving search results from Google Base. I’ve got some crash logs, all incriminating the same area of code. It’d be good to have another log from you as well, just to ensure that it’s the same problem, if that’s not too much trouble.

    I think (though I’d rather not promise) you can expect a fix on the weekend.